Monday, June 9, 2014

FETs are Kinda Boring...

This FET (frozen embryo transfer) cycle is pretty boring and drawn out.

I guess that's not really a bad thing since logistically it's much easier to deal with and plan out. Plus I think my body finally got used to this Lupron drug (still not sure what it does).

The only bad thing about boring, drawn out treatments is it leaves a lot of time to over analyze things.

The main decision that lies ahead of us this cycle is how many embryos to transfer back to me.

I have to admit, at the beginning of the IVF process, I was dead set on two. I wanted twins and then to never deal with fertility crap ever again. Apparently this is an extremely common thought process and why twin births are very common for IVF patients. It's also why many doctors and labs are now advocating for single transfers (if you're a certain age and the embryos are good quality).

Mo' babies equals mo' problems.

It's very strange the decisions that you are faced with during this process. Decisions that no one really ever wants to face. Like what happens to your embryos if you and your spouse get divorced or if one of you dies. We had to fill out paperwork for that and it was kinda sad and awkward.

But how do you decide how many embryos to transfer? That's not a decision that you really want to be in charge of.

If you get pregnant with multiples in a more "natural" way, you just have to deal with it.

But if you played an active role in "choosing" to have multiples, it seems like there's more pressure there.

If we put two back and end up with twins, how much guilt will I possibly have seeing them in the NICU all because I wasn't patient enough to have them one at a time?

I'm not sure if that would be the case but it seems like moms already carry enough guilt if anything is wrong with their kid so this just feels like it would add another layer of complexity.

I guess what it comes down to is that now that the embryos are here and they are no longer hypothetical, I feel like I have to make decisions as a "parent" (with zero experience in that dept).

Even though two would increase our chances of pregnancy, is it what's best for our kids in the long run? What will get them here as safely as possible?

I hope this doesn't sound like I'm judging anyone's decisions since this whole process is complex and different for every one.

Who knows? Maybe the doctor will have a sound argument in favor of putting back two. I think if that's the case, at least some of the burden is off of us and more on a professional's opinion.

It's just a strange place to be in with heavy decisions left to make but hopefully God guides the course and we just focus on the true goal of healthy babies... even if it means a smaller chance at a positive pregnancy test....

No comments:

Post a Comment